Sunday 18 January 2009

All Talk 3 - Hutchback’s Theory Of Cultural Relativity

22/11/08

Dr. Nostrum

There's a lot more...

Hutchback

There's a lot of garbage to look at.

Dr. Nostrum

...there's a lot more stuff around.

Hutchback (eating chocolate again)

Mm.. and.. and.. and my theory.. (chews) you know, to explore my theory of (laughs at the ridiculousness of positing 'a theory') Huh-huh, 'My Theory', I have 'A Theory' about the relative importance of.. of things. It's a very well known and formulated theory – It's actually that we attribute value to these great things, not just literature but somehow to certain events, have, have an importance as defined by whether they er, er, you know, they're talked about (pause) in a certain way. Um, whereas, um, the things that concern most people aren't great events, u, the great events are just a bit of background colour to their, to their kind of pedestrian (pause) lives. Which consists of making breakfast and watching Big Brother.

Dr. Nostrum

Huh, oh, I stopped listening to some of that. But I caught the end of it!

Hutchback

Well, you can listen to it later...

Dr. Nostrum

It's not concise enough.

Hutchback

...I haven't.. No, well, no, you have to start with the large and then bring it down to the small.

Dr. Nostrum

I know. I would do that.

Hutchback

It's, it's kind of like the, ok.. it's about Big Br.. I told it to you? It's about Big Brother and The News (pause) and why is the news intrinsically more interesting than Big Brother.

Dr. Nostrum

No wait a minute, what's the theory of?

Hutchback

It's a theory of... (long pause). It's a new Theory Of Relativity. No...

Dr. Nostrum

Cultural Rela..

Hutchback

Cultural Relativity.

Dr. Nostrum

Is it "The further away you get from something, the better it looks"?

Hutchback (laughs)

Generally, that works with ugly women, but..

Dr. Nostrum

No, no, to think about it, it actually works very well, no, well with literature, the older it is the better it is – generally

Hutchback

And is there anything wrong with just having a book on your shelf and not having read it? At least you've bought the book – that's a step closer.

Dr. Nostrum

I think that's what hardback are for

Hutchback

Yeah. No, but this theory of mine I think, I think it's actually...

Dr. Nostrum

It's important

Hutchback

...it's true. I think there, there is (pause) something significant there, because I think that most people are only concerned with Heat magazine and Big Brother.

Dr. Nostrum

'People', or women?

Hutchback

People (pause) ok, well there's an equivalent for men – football and...

Dr. Nostrum

Nuts

Hutchback

...tits.

Dr. Nostrum

Oh yeah, no, no, Nuts. Football and Nuts or Big Brother and Heat

Hutchback

Yeah

Dr. Nostrum

And that's essentially the difference between...

Hutchback

The holy quadrology, er...

Dr. Nostrum

...the sexes

Hutchback

...quadrilogy, um, and...

Dr. Nostrum

You're presupposing some kind of, er, er (pause) knowledge. I've never looked at Nuts apart from.. I know that it exists but...

Hutchback

It doesn't matter

Dr. Nostrum

...I can imagine what's in it.

Hutchback

It's just skimpy – you know, women with their tits out

Dr. Nostrum

Yeah, it's women with their tits out

Hutchback (qualifying)

Young, young women, with their tits out

Dr. Nostrum

I never really understood the attraction of...

Hutchback (an impatient realisation)

In fact, in fact, in fact...

Dr. Nostrum

...does it improve the article? That's what I'm saying you know? If you've got...

Hutchback

The interviews generally don't stand up very well without the tit shot, basically.

Dr. Nostrum

I suppose.

Hutchback

You know – what's your, what's your favourite sexual fantasy? You need to have some visual cues to help that one along. You know, if it's just an interview without a picture...

Dr. Nostrum

Imagine if all...

Hutchback

They could just pretend that they're gorgeous.

Dr. Nostrum

...no, but great literature.. if it was proo.. if it was proven that it improved it, for men, with tits, that you could actually shift a lot more copies of War & Peace...

Hutchback

You could...

Dr. Nostrum

...with a few tit shots

Hutchback

...if you had a few tit shots, yeah.

Dr. Nostrum

Cos then - "I'm a bit bored with this," the tits "whoa, look at that, look, oh!"

Hutchback

Probably, probably every 4 pages I think you'd need one.

Dr. Nostrum

Every 4? Well, The Sport must have a – does that still exist, The Sunday Sport?

Hutchback

Er, I guess so.

No comments:

Post a Comment