Sunday 18 January 2009

All Talk 4 - Heller, Wittgenstien, Freud and Manning

24/11/08

Dr. Nostrum

So your theory, I still don't quite understand what it's a theory of?

Hutchback

Right, it's a theory of...

Dr. Nostrum

It's a theory of...?

Hutchback

...it's a theory of Cultural...

Together

...Relativity.

Dr. Nostrum

No, that's...

Hutchback

Is, er, is that...

Dr. Nostrum

...not right is it?

Hutchback

...no, it's, it's (long pause) I don't know what it is.

Dr. Nostrum

It's something to do with quality isn't it?

Hutchback

It's, it's to do with significance.

Dr. Nostrum

Oh.

Hutchback

It's about significance.

Dr. Nostrum

Cultural – significance of...

Hutchback

Of Cultural events

Dr. Nostrum

Events, or...

Hutchback

That I would posit (see, told you)

Dr. Nostrum

...work?

Hutchback

No, of anything - cultural (pause) thing, objects. It could be an event...

Dr. Nostrum (unsure)

Ye-es

Hutchback

Er, a, you know, er, (long pause) a piece of literature...

Dr. Nostrum

Lint?

Hutchback

A piece of, a piece of felt...

Dr. Nostrum

Vannessa Feltz

Hutchback

It could be Vannessa Feltz.. no, no, cos you see that would be now veering into the second category, which is, which is the Garbage that society. The Garbage that we create...

Dr. Nostrum

I actually think she probably didn't set out to be garbage, she probably was a bit like Gordon Brown.

Hutchback

No, no, as soon as you go, kind of chat TV, chat radio, you are embracing 'the garbage', surely? There's no...

Dr. Nostrum

Well, yeah, but not if you've got, I don't know, Wittgenstein talking to Joseph Heller...

Hutchback

Yeah but you don't get that, well, you might get it on radio 4...

Dr. Nostrum

No, you would never get Wittgenstein talking to J..

Hutchback

Well, you might have got it on radio 4

Dr. Nostrum

Did they even exist in the same...

Hutchback

Yeah, Wittgenstien...

Dr. Nostrum

...period? Did they cross over?

Hutchback

Yeah, course.

Dr. Nostrum

Really?

Hutchback

Didn't they?

Dr. Nostrum

I thought he was 1800 and something

Hutchback

Wittgenstein? Oh, I thought it was 19...

Dr. Nostrum

You see – presupposing something

Hutchback

...19 something.

Dr. Nostrum

Wittgenstein?

Hutchback

No, alright, yeah you're right, he was earlier it wasn't 17 anything..

Dr. Nostrum

Now I actually saw Joseph Heller sit on a panel of that...

Hutchback

Sit on a park bench.

Dr. Nostrum

...review. Yeah, but no, he was on this review – you know, one of these – they used to do it on radio, no, on BBC 2. D'you remember? The late night review...

Hutchback

Yes

Dr. Nostrum

...where they had some bloke and then they had other blokes...

Hutchback

'The Late...'

Dr. Nostrum

...and a woman

Hutchback

...Late Review – late night?

Dr. Nostrum

Yeah, he was on – I know what you're thinking about – and it was him – whatever – but I just remember that he was one person and Tony Parsons, I believe, was one of the other people...

Hutchback

Hmm, two...

Dr. Nostrum

...Yeah, and it was quite...

Hutchback

...giants (starts laughing)

Dr. Nostrum (laughing)

Well that's what I was thinking! Cos you know, you've got, you've obviously got Cultural (pause) giants, you know, right throughout the depth, the depth of, of the, erm, (pause) the dissection of whatever they were talking about was at, er, was at levels (pause) now, that was relativity working there.

Hutchback

Levels

Dr. Nostrum

And I don't remember, I don't...

Hutchback

Levels...

Dr. Nostrum

...Yeah, Levels...

Hutchback

...Jerry.

Dr. Nostrum

I don't remember anything anyone said, I just thought the whole idea of having Joseph Heller on the same programme as Tony Parsons, talking about the same thing...

Hutchback

Hmm.

Dr. Nostrum

Was an extraordinarily weird idea.

Hutchback

Like, ehm...

Dr. Nostrum

Well, I don't know...

Hutchback

Sigmund Freud and Bernard Manning

Dr. Nostrum

Talking about psychotherapy, yeah. (pause) Well, you know, I think the thing is, Sigmund Freud might have been interested in Bernard Manning but I don't think Joseph Heller was interested in Tony Parsons.

Hutchback

Mm, mm, mm. But would Bernard Manning have been interested in Sigmund Freud?

Dr. Nostrum

I still do like his joke – (here comes irony, just in case you were wondering) I was telling M as another great bit of her cultural inheritance, not to be racist in any way at all, but I did like that joke about living next door to – "I'm a better man than you cause at least I don't live next door to a stinking Paki."

Hutchback

Yeah, that will have to be edited out later. But..

Dr. Nostrum

Do you remember that joke?

Hutchback (an unfortunate memory)

Yes, I remember it

Dr. Nostrum

I can't remember how it started...

Hutchback

Yeah, cause he moves in..

Dr. Nostrum

I know, 'he moves in...' but I can't remember what..

Hutchback

I'm a bet.. I'm a luckier man than you

Dr. Nostrum

No, It was 'I'm a better man than you' I think

Hutchback

No, 'I'm a luckier man than you Mr. Manning'

Dr. Nostrum

And what it must have been – cause I was trying to tell M this joke you see and I couldn't remember the whole set-up...

Hutchback

Couldn't remember the classic...

Dr. Nostrum

...and if you just come up with the punch-line it sounds terrible.

Hutchback

I think the joke – even with the pre-amble, it's pretty terrible

Dr. Nostrum

Yeah

Hutchback

But um, after all...

Dr. Nostrum

Yeah

Hutchback (sarcasm)

...it's just the Pakistani's, we don't have to worry that much...

Dr. Nostrum

No

Hutchback

...They're all terrorists anyway. (pause) We'll have to edit that one out as well. God. Erm.

Dr. Nostrum

Do you think it's easy to get a fatwa on yourself if you're just insignificant?

Hutchback (laughs)

Um, yeah, probably, cos it's quite a lot of effort to do all that fatwa-ing. You know...

Dr. Nostrum

Well actually, a Fatwa, a Fatwa...

Hutchback

...all that religious hatred.

Dr. Nostrum

...a Fatwa is actually not so bad is it, cos it's effectively someone saying just "ignore 'em", isn't it, basically. A Fatwa is, you know, it's kind of like blackballing someone?

Hutchback

Hmm, again, we'll have to edit that one out as well.

(beat)

No, I don't know, again, it, oh, Bloody Hell, I mean, the th.. how many things can you actually talk about that you actually know anything about at all?

Hutchback

Um, very little...

Dr. Nostrum

Yeah, almost nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment