Sunday 18 January 2009

All Talk 30 - That American Thing

DR. NOSTRUM

I noticed that thing in America – is that everyone seems to hold on to (pause) they all hold on to their heritage. I don't know why they do it, you know? You know, they're like American-Italian, American-Irish, sorry, you know, Irish-American, Italian-American...

HUTCHBACK

Mm-hm

DR. NOSTRUM

...African-American... Why can't they just be American? You know, you're not, you're not African-English or African-French are you? Why is it just America that they do that? I don't understand it.

HUTCHBACK

African-French? What do you mean?

DR. NOSTRUM

Well, I'm saying that people, they describe themselves as: African-America, Irish-American, Italian-American, Scottish.. you know? That's how they describe themselves.

HUTCHBACK

Cause no on wants to be American.

DR. NOSTRUM

No one wants.. that's what I'm saying – well, who are the Americans? I m.. you know, Why can't they just be Americans? You don't come to Britain and you.. "Oh, I'm a French.. French Brit" or whatever: "I'm a Russian.. I'm a Russian Brit. It doesn't happen. (pause) Maybe that's why they all hate each other. Cause they're a bunch of cunts.

HUTCHBACK

(in an ironic 'that's the explanation for everything' tone) They're all a bunch of cunts.

No comments:

Post a Comment