Sunday 18 January 2009

All Talk 31 - The Benefits of Ignorance in Management

DR. NOSTRUM

I guess that's what PR people do, or whatever. If you have a manager, you've got someone around to tell you to stop being a cunt.

HUTCHBACK

The best piece of advice they can give to you.

DR. NOSTRUM

Or that, you know, when you're doing it they just, they tug you on the arm. (mimes tugging himself) "You're doing it now." "It's too late!" (pause) Have you managed to subvert that then?

HUTCHBACK

What?

DR. NOSTRUM

Looking at people that annoy you because their idiots like they're idiots.

HUTCHBACK

Yes of course! I've worked... I mean apart from the occasional, the occasional standout moment, I work in a client services industry...

DR. NOSTRUM

But I did too!

HUTCHBACK

...you have to.

DR. NOSTRUM

I did too and I was very good at it, in fact, because, um, I didn't know what the people were doing. (pause - thinks) Maybe that's why it worked? I was working with a bunch of people and had no idea what they were doing so there's no way I could assume they were an idiot.

HUTCHBACK

Hmm.

DR. NOSTRUM

Lack of knowledge was a great bonus. It's true. Not knowing what the people you're managing are doing is a great benefit because you can never look at them as if you.. that you know they're not doing it right.

HUTCHBACK

Mm.

DR. NOSTRUM

It's like 'The Apprentice'

No comments:

Post a Comment