Sunday 18 January 2009

All Talk 18 - How To Turn Shit Into Gold, an idea for American Inventor

Having retreated from the glare of the public, the Doctor and Hutchback come up with a new line in Shower Gels and the next product to draw investment from American Inventor - providing the basis for the first entry Dr. Nostrum made on this Blogradigm way back when.

INT HUTCHBACK'S LAIR

DR. NOSTRUM (returning from the toilet)

I thought that was a funny thing. I saw that, you got that shower gel what was it – Dragon's Breath?

HUTCHBACK

Dragon's Breath and Chili

DR. NOSTRUM

Yeah. Dragon-berries and Crapiscum

HUTCHBACK

Capsicum

DR. NOSTRUM

Right, Capsicum. I mean really, do you think, if you had those two things you would make a shower gel out of it? I can't imagine what sort of process, whoever.. I mean who on earth thought of anything like that? How do you do that, really? You know, if you're sitting.. well, I suppose the people who invented it are the people that work for the shower gel company, but I was kind of thinking – it might have been the people who just had too many Dragon-berries and Capsicum and they didn't know what to do with them, but it's not is it? It's the other way round.

HUTCHBACK

You can come up with shower gels...

DR. NOSTRUM

I mean, what does it mean?

HUTCHBACK

Shower gel's not a difficult thing to come up with. (pause) Chocolate Chip.

DR. NOSTRUM

That would be good! That's true - people don't do that - that would be a whole market.

HUTCHBACK

There you go.

DR. NOSTRUM

There you see, we're giving all our ideas away for free.

HUTCHBACK (sarcasm)

For free! The genius. The genius!

DR. NOSTRUM

Now that, actually, American inventor is kinda like that, because, obviously, I've been an ideas man in the past (Hutchback laughs mockingly) No...

HUTCHBACK

Your previous profession - an ideas man.

DR. NOSTRUM

Yes! Yes. I would say, in fact it's still my profession but now...

HUTCHBACK

But now you don't get paid for it.

DR. NOSTRUM

Yeah, well, yeah. Whereas before I didn't get paid for it either. Um, no, because I was saying to.. It's true...

HUTCHBACK

So you're the brains of the outfit?

DR. NOSTRUM

I'm the brains behind all the stuff that never gets made. You know, I've invented more things that couldn't possibly exist than most people.

HUTCHBACK

Which takes some doing.

DR. NOSTRUM

It takes some doing, but...

HUTCHBACK

So does that mean..?

DR. NOSTRUM

...I was hampered...

HUTCHBACK

But doesn't that mean, doesn't that mean the more, the more things you invent that are clearly nonsense, the worse..?

DR. NOSTRUM

I don't think any of them are nonsense! They're just not (pause) makeable with no knowledge of anything.

HUTCHBACK

Ok

DR. NOSTRUM

That's the problem, but, there is a show now, on TV, for people like me.

HUTCHBACK

For you

DR. NOSTRUM

Where, you go there and you t.. I saw it, it's called...

HUTCHBACK

American Inventor

DR. NOSTRUM

Yeah, it's a bit of a weird idea, I mean, you just go there.. I saw this, there was this.. I mean, look, it's a laudable idea, but the presentation just sucked, which was another thing you kind of ta...

HUTCHBACK

I think we can't use the word 'sucked' in our podcast

DR. NOSTRUM

'Blew'?

HUTCHBACK

We should have a moratorium.

DR. NOSTRUM

'Blew'? Er, no, you can't use that either. Anyway...

HUTCHBACK

'Was terrible'.

DR. NOSTRUM

No, I'll just tell you anyway...

HUTCHBACK

'The idea was terrible.'

DR. NOSTRUM

No! The idea was great! But it...

HUTCHBACK

Oh. The execution was terrible?

DR. NOSTRUM

No, it wasn't an execution, look, just let me tell you, I'll just...

HUTCHBACK

Then something was terrible.

DR. NOSTRUM

Just let me tell you about it. Right. This deaf kid – it's a sad story – this deaf boy, he's 18...

HUTCHBACK

Deaf, blind...

DR. NOSTRUM

No, he's a deaf boy...

HUTCHBACK

...with no legs.

DR. NOSTRUM

...his mum's been.. and he invented legs, he came up with the idea of legs, no, his mum has been translating for him, uh, she learned sign language, right. Now he's got a family, now for - he's twenty years old – now for some reason the rest of his family never bothered to learn sign language, so his mum has been translating for him ever since he was a child.

HUTCHBACK

Right...

DR. NOSTRUM

And he's really...

HUTCHBACK

...and that's the idea.

DR. NOSTRUM

No.

HUTCHBACK

There's your idea.

DR. NOSTRUM

No, no, no. Let me tell you about it cos it's given me the (pause) fact that (pause) being just a thoughtful lunatic is enough, in the world. Is that, um, he has (pause) invented, uh, a little box, right, that what he wants.. he's so fed up and he's so.. he just wants to be able to communicate with people without his mum translating for him, it's very sad, you know, even in his home family. A little box that - he wears it around his neck, um, and when someone speaks it just comes up on the text, you know, what they're saying. So that's basically, you know...

HUTCHBACK

I am listening

DR. NOSTRUM

...a little translating box. Right?

HUTCHBACK

Yeah

DR. NOSTRUM

No, it's ok, and so, er, and then if he wants to say something, presumably he can tap it in and then it'll speak for him...

HUTCHBACK

Mm-hmm.

DR. NOSTRUM

...so it, you know, it, in fact, it takes the place of his mum, cos that's all his mum ever did, his mum obviously never did anything else useful in her life, but anyway... So the way he presented that invention: (pause) He didn't invent it, all he did was fucking drew it on a piece of paper (Hutchback starts laughing) He drew it, literally, he drew this thing, the same way I used to do it – there's a drawing of him, you know, someone standing with this box, and he's drawn something and the arrow to it was "comfortable handles to hold"! You know, nothing, he's got nothing!

HUTCHBACK

"You've got nothing kid!"

DR. NOSTRUM

All he's got is an idea, and they all sat there and thought "Ohh, this is great" wouldn't this be great" you know. I mean, you know? I mean why don't I.. I just think.. you could stand up there in fornt of them.. And it's just "Well, you know, I've come up with this idea, is that it turns shit into gold," right? And you have a drawing of a...

HUTCHBACK

A drawing of a turd...

DR. NOSTRUM

...of a turd...

HUTCHBACK

...and then this pipe and out comes a gold bar. Right. (imitates panel) "It's amazing!" "It's fucking amazing!"

DR. NOSTRUM

And I just thought "What kind of fucking show is that?" American Inventor? It's not American Inventor, it's just...

HUTCHBACK

American Arsehole.

DR. NOSTRUM

It's just "Person With A Thought." You know "Person With Some Idea"

HUTCHBACK

Um, "American Delusional Lunatic."

DR. NOSTRUM

"American Delusionist", or whatever. (pause) That'd be a good profession. "I'm a Delusionist."

HUTCHBACK

American Delusionist.

DR. NOSTRUM

But I've done this in the past!

HUTCHBACK

Yes...

DR. NOSTRUM

I've done this in the past and people used to laugh at me!

HUTCHBACK

...and strangely, no one made a TV programme around it.

DR. NOSTRUM

And now they do. There you are...

HUTCHBACK

See?

DR. NOSTRUM

...Cultural significance...

HUTCHBACK

See? There you go.

DR. NOSTRUM

Yeah.

HUTCHBACK

Proving my point right from the beginning – is that the only things that are important any more are things that aren't important.

No comments:

Post a Comment